Woodbridge Township: Residential Charm & Commercial Viability

In This Series, the Middlesex Chamber and Convention & Visitors Bureau Looks at the Treasures of Each of the County's 25 Towns

In 1664, New Jersey Gov. Philip Carteret granted English settlers the right to establish a plantation on 34 square miles between the Passaic and Raritan rivers purchased from the native Lenni Lenape tribe. Two years later, settlers from Newbury, Massachusetts, signed an agreement with Gov. Carteret to establish a Township. On June 1, 1669, King Charles II of England granted an official Town Charter to the settlers of Woodbridge, making it the oldest original township chartered in New Jersey.

It is believed the early settlers named the town after their pastor, the Rev. John Woodbridge. They designed the town out in a fashion similar to other New England towns, starting with the “Kirk Green” town center where churches, homes and businesses were clustered.

Woodbridge’s prime location along the Raritan River and Arthur Kill and its later inclusion in regional railroad networks made it a destination for many families arriving from Europe. An abundance of clay deposits spurred the production of fine pottery as well as fire bricks, making the town a major global producer of brick and clay products during the 1800s.

Today, that prime location continues the Township's vitality. With a population of 100,000, Woodbridge comprises 10 smaller “towns” (or unincorporated areas) within its 24.2 square miles: Avenel, Colonia, Fords, Hopelawn, Iselin, Keasbey, Menlo Park Terrace, Port Reading, Sewaren and Woodbridge proper. It is the fifth largest municipality in the state.

Woodbridge Township is a major commercial hub in a central geographic location along the busy Northeast Corridor. It is situated at the confluence of numerous water, rail and roadway links. Twenty percent of its land area is devoted to transportation, warehouse and manufacturing operations.

Noted for its progressiveness, Woodbridge still has some of the Colonial charm mixed within its corporate office towers, highways, waterfront and rail lines. Despite its 26 square miles, the Township is able to maintain the feel of small-town America. Woodbridge offers quiet, tree-lined neighborhoods, downtowns and local schools – all within a short walk of each other.

On the web: http://www.twp.woodbridge.nj.us